Workiva uses machine translation to translate sections of text or entire documents. You can improve translation accuracy by uploading a glossary of product names, acronyms and key terms unique to your business.
- Translation is available only for supported languages
- Contact us if you need to enable translation in your workspace.
You can type directly into the Translate Selection panel to see your text translated in real time.
To translate text:
- Open the Language Translation panel to view the Translate Selection tab.
- Click the second dropdown and select a language to translate to. If you’re translating from a language other than the locale set in Document Properties, adjust the selected language in the first dropdown to match the language of your selected text.
- Begin typing in the first text box. Your translated text automatically appears in the second box.
- Copy the text from the second text box and use CTRL + V to add the translated text to your document.
Note: You can translate up to 3000 characters at a time.
Translate a selection
You can also directly translate a selection of text within your document.
- Select the text you want to translate by highlighting the text or single-clicking a cell.
- Right-click the selection and choose Translate.
- Click the second dropdown at the top of the Translate Selection panel and select a language to translate to. The translation automatically appears in the second box.
To add the translated text to your document, click Copy Translation to Clipboard and paste it into your file using CTRL + V.
With the Language Translation panel open, you can select other text in your document and see the new translation appear in the second text box.
Translate a document
You can also translate your entire document using the Language Translation panel.
- Open the Language Translation panel and select the Translate Document tab.
- Click the second dropdown and select a language to translate to. The language in the first dropdown is set by your document's locale.
- Click Translate and select to either translate the full document or just selected sections. If you’d like to translate a set of sections, select those sections in the window and click Translate.
Your translation automatically opens in a new tab. You can also access this translation from the Translate Document tab at any time.
View a translation
The Language Translation panel lets you see what translations of your document have already been made. This panel lists translations for both the entire document and selected selections.
Click the open icon next to a translation to view it. When viewing a translation, you can only save or export the translated file.
The language code of the translated document appears in brackets next to the document’s title.
To share with collaborators outside of Workiva, you can export your document.