Sending documents for review lets users in your workspace view and comment on a particular version of a document, whether it's a first draft or a final review before filing. When you request a review, your reviewer receives a read-only version of your document, allowing them to add comments without altering your original file.
Send a document for review
To send a document for review:
- From the Review toolbar, click Review and select Send for Review from the menu.
You can also send a previous revision for review by clicking the arrow next to the revision in the History panel and selecting Send for Review.
- Select to send all the sections you have access to or just selected sections. If you want to send particular sections, select them from the list. Use the Expand and Collapse buttons [ ] to open and close sections.
- Select which comment threads to include.
Comment option Description Do not include comment threads This option will not include any comment threads left on the original file or past reviews. Include all comment threads This option pulls any comment left on the original document and on any past reviews. Comments from unselected reviews might appear if you opt to send all comments when creating the selected review. Include comment threads from past reviews This option only includes comments from the selected past reviews. Comments from unselected reviews may appear if they were included in another review. Exclude comments added to the review from the live version of the file This option can be marked in addition to one of the other selected comment options above. Any comments left on the review that is being sent will not be added to the live version of the file.
- Under Details, add a title for the review. This title appears in the Reviews panel after you send your request to help you keep track of the review process.
- Add users from your workspace to send the document to. If your workspace has groups, you can send your review to all group members by selecting the group name. Groups are noted by the icon.
- Add content for an email notification, including a subject and content. This content can be used to ask reviewers for specific feedback or set a review deadline.
- Click Send to send your request. Your reviewer receives an email with a link to your document.
Note: Permissions in review files are set differently from your original file. Requesting a review creates a separate review file and doesn't change the permission set on the source file.
By default, only Document Owners can send documents for review. If you'd like to allow Editors or Viewers to request reviews, you can change this setting under Permissions in Document Properties.
Use the Reviews panel
Once you request a review, information about the request appears in the Reviews panel. To access the panel, click the Reviews icon in the right panel. When you select a review, you can see when the request was sent and who it was sent to.
Clicking the Open Review icon opens the view-only document in a new tab. If your reviewer has left comments, you can view them here.
The Comment icon in the outline panel shows the number of comments in each section. You can view the comments on the right side of the documents.
You can also edit or delete a review using the arrow next to a review’s title in the Reviews panel. To add more reviewers or change the name of a review, click Edit from the menu.
To delete a request, select Delete from the menu. Deleting a review automatically deletes the read-only document.
Review a file
If you receive a request to leave a review, you’ll be taken to a read-only version of the document.
To start your review, click Go To Review in the request email.
From here, you can add comments to the document or section. To add a comment:
- Highlight a section of text
- Click Add in the toolbar.
- Type your comment and click Post.
Comments automatically appear in the requester’s version of the document. You can view all of your comments in the Comments panel. You can also add new comments and navigate between existing comments from this panel.
The viewer also allows you to:
- Export the file or section to PDF or DOCX
- Print a copy of the file
- use Find to search for specific words or phrases
- select Show Markup to view markup that was added to the document