Workiva allows you to transfer tables, queries, parameters, tags, and other objects across workspaces and organizations.
As a workspace owner, you choose the specific files and folder structure to include in your export. The file recipient can then import the file to their own workspace and customize it to fit their needs. This solution is often used when sharing data models and solutions with third parties or promoting items between environments.
Which export/copy tool should I use?
Workiva offers a variety of ways to move, copy, and export your files. Here's how we recommend using each one:
- Use Move when you need to copy files between workspaces and don't use Wdata.
- Use Workiva exports if you need to move Workiva files that include Wdata connections.
- Use Wdata exports when you need to move only Wdata objects (like queries or tables).
- This feature is only available to Workspace Owners and Org Workspace Admins.
Assets in your workspace are compressed into a content bundle file (.cb) and downloaded to your computer. The .cb file can then be transferred and uploaded to another workspace.
To export your workspace:
- Go to Wdata Home.
- Select the files you'd like to export, and then click Export at the top right.
- Review the files and dependencies in your export. If everything looks right, click Export to download your file.
- Tables, queries, and global parameters are listed on this screen.
- Tags, tag values, and local parameters aren't listed here, but will be included in your export.
- Views can't be exported at this time.
What can I move across workspaces?
The following Wdata information can be exported and imported:
- Global and local parameters
- Tags and tag values
Data is not included in any of these exports.
To import a .cb file into your workspace:
- Go to Wdata Home.
- At the top left, click Create > Import > Import Workiva File.
- Click Browse to open your computer's file viewer and select a .cb file.
- Choose an upload location in your workspace, add a prefix if desired, and click Import to finish.
- Adding a prefix makes it easier to group, sort, and search through imported files.
Can I use the Move feature to copy Wdata objects?
Not at this time. You can quickly move most Wdesk items between workspaces, but Wdata items must be fully exported using the steps in this article.
You can, however, use the export feature to copy Workiva files that connect to WData.
How do I fix a broken query?
You'll need to either bring these queries over individually or recreate them in your new workspace. Check out our article on fixing broken queries to learn more.
What if I add the wrong source file to a query?
You can swap out one source file for another by right-clicking on the incorrect file in the Sources panel, and then selecting Replace source.
How do permissions affect my ability to export objects?
Because Wdata exports do not contain any data, Admins can view and export these objects even if they don't have permission to access the connected sheets. The export itself is merely a model, and the data itself must be filled in later.
This differs from the rest of Workiva, where you need access to every part of a spreadsheet in order to export it.