Workiva's ESG solutions include an ESG Data Collection spreadsheet to help curate values for environmental, social, and governance (ESG) topics. By default, this spreadsheet includes common columns for ESG reporting values:
- Framework topic
- Tags your organization tracks about data sets
- Data provider
To track an additional detail for ESG data collection, such as commentary about a value for the reporting narrative, add its column in Spreadsheets and Wdata.
Note: To add columns for ESG data collection, you need Editor or Owner permissions to the ESG Data Collection spreadsheet, its connected Wdata table, and the dependent query.
Step 1. Insert the column in Spreadsheets
- In the ESG Data Collection spreadsheet, open the sheet to collect the data.
- Select a column next to where to track the new value, and insert its column:
- From the Edit toolbar, select Insert , 1 Column Left or 1 Column Right .
- Right-click the selected column, and select Insert , 1 Column Left or 1 Column Right .
- In the header row, enter the new column's name.
Step 2. Add the column to the connected table
- From the spreadsheet's Connections panel, under Outgoing , select Open destination from the sheet's connection.
- In the Wdata table, click Add column, and add a new column with the same name and type as the column added to the ESG Data Collection spreadsheet.
Step 3. Add the field to the dependent query
- From the table's Table properties panel, select Open from the query under Dependents.
- In the query, verify the new column appears under Sources.
- In Builder or SQL, add the column as a field.