You can use comments to leave remarks and collaborate with others in a document.
Add a Comment
To add a comment to a document:
- Select the text or table you want to comment on. To comment on a chart, select text associated with the chart.
- Right-click the text and select Add Comment from the menu to open the Comments panel.
- Type your comment in the New Comment field and click Post.
You can mention both individual users and workspace groups to notify them directly about your comment. Type @ in the comment box to view a list of users and existing groups, including document owners, editors, or viewers.
You can also use this panel to manage your document’s comments. If you are a document owner, you can create, reply to, resolve, move, and delete comments. If you are an editor or viewer, you can perform any of these actions but can only delete your own comments.
You can edit a comment by clicking the pencil icon or reply to it using the text field.
If you need to move a comment to another part of your document, you can use the Move Comment option.
- Select the text or table you want to move the comment to.
- In the Comments panel, click the arrow next to the comment you want to move.
- Select Move Comment from the menu.
When someone comments on a document, the comment icon appears next to the section title in the document outline panel. The comments themselves are located in the Comments panel.
You can view a comment’s exact selection in the document by clicking the Jump to Location icon in the Comments panel.
The blue highlights in the document indicate the presence of comments associated with text, charts, cells and tables. When you click your cursor into highlighted content while the Comments panel is open, the corresponding comment will automatically expand in the comment panel and be indicated by a blue border.
If there are multiple highlights around your cursor in a text passage, the comment opens for the one closest to your cursor.
Use the filter options to view specific types of comments.
To apply a filter:
- Open the Comments panel.
- Click the Filter icon.
- Select how you want to filter your comments.
- Show For lets you view comments for the whole document or just the current section
- Status filters comments by open or resolved
- Mentions lets you view only comments that @ mention you
- Date Updated filters comments made on a certain date, within a range of dates and times, or before/after a certain date
- Author shows comments made by a particular user
- Content allows you to search for keywords or phrases within comments
If the text to which a comment is connected is removed from a document, an icon indicating that the comment has been disconnected will appear in the comment panel.
The content of the original selection (up to 400 characters of text) also appears in the appropriate comment card in the Comments panel.