Pie and doughnut charts display data in slices rather than in series. Pie and doughnut charts represent data points as percentages, showing a comparison of parts to the whole. A doughnut chart displays as a ring with a variable inner radius.
Create a pie or doughnut chart
To create a pie or doughnut chart:
- Click the Edit tab.
- Click the Insert icon.
- Hover over Chart in the drop-down.
- Click on Pie or Doughnut chart.
To convert between pie and doughnut charts:
- Select your Pie or Doughnut chart.
- Right-click and choose Chart Properties .
- Use the Doughnut Hole setting to add or remove the hole in the center of the chart.
Format chart slices
Slice colors, borders, and labels are controlled from the Chart Properties panel.
To format all slices at the same time:
- Click on the chart to select.
- Right-click to open the Chart Properties panel.
- Use the slider to Explode all slices if desired.
- Use the Border slider to turn on borders and set the width and color of the slice borders.
- Use the Show Label slider to add slice labels and connectors.
To format a pie or doughnut slice individually:
- Double-click on a slice in the chart or use the drop-down under Slices to select an individual slice.
- Set the Color by clicking the color picker square.
- Use the slider to Explode the slice if desired.
- Use the Border slider to turn on a border and set the width and color of the slice border.
TIP: Adding a white border (10 px) to all slices is an alternate to exploding the slices as a way to emphasize each slice.
Pie and doughnut chart labels
One of the unique features of pie and doughnut charts is the connecting line between the label and the associated slice.
To format chart connecting lines and labels:
- Select your chart or a single slice.
- Turn the slider on to Show Label.
- Use the sliders to choose whether to include Name, Value, and Percent.
- Use the Precision input field to determine how many decimals to show on the slice labels.
- Use the Separator drop-down for the type and placement of separators.
- Use the Distance input field to set the space from the label to the slice.
- Use the Connector Line color picker to set the color of the connector line.