This feature is currently only available in Global Statutory Reporting and Investments solutions. Reach out to your CSM if you’d like to be added to the waitlist.
If you need to make a one-time change to a destination link without removing the connection to the source, you can override the link. Overrides can accommodate exceptions or customization needed for a single destination link while maintaining the audit trail. Use the Link Properties panel for insight into where overrides exist for links in your document.
Note: Overrides are only available in Documents.
Destination links with overrides won't update when the source is updated and published. Check out content placeholders if you want to create source links that allow for variations at the destination.
Apply an override
To apply an override:
- Select an existing destination link that you want to override.
- Right-click the link and select Override Link from the menu.
- Enter or modify the text you want to display instead of the link.
- Click off the link to finish your override.
An orange triangle in the upper left corner of the link indicates that the destination link is overridden.
Preview the link source
When you click on an overridden link, the Overrides header will have one of the following options that both open the Source Preview:
- Preview Source: This indicates no updates have been made to the source since the override was created. Click to preview the current source text compared to the override text in the Source Preview.
- Source Updates: This indicates that the source link has published updates since the override was created. Click to use the Source Preview to compare the override text to the current source value or the source value at the time the override was created.
Use the Source Preview
The Source Preview shows you the differences between the source text and the override text.
To open the Source Preview:
- Click the overridden link.
- In the orange header, click Preview Source to open the Source Preview.
If there are updates or changes to the source of your overridden link, the preview button shows Source Updates.
The comparison shown in the Source Preview depends on whether or not the source link has been updated and published.
If no source updates have been published since the time the override was created, the Source Preview shows the changes made to the destination link.
To see the source in its original document, click Go to Source.
Remove an override
When you remove an override, the link returns to the most recently published source value.
To remove a link override:
- Right-click the overridden link and select Remove Override.
- Confirm that you want to remove the link override.
The link is no longer overridden and returns to the last published source value.
Find all link overrides
To see where all link overrides exist, have two options:
- Use the Link Properties panel to see which links are overridden
- Generate a Document Links Report to see which source links have been updated since the override was created
Note: The Link Properties panel doesn’t indicate if a source link has been updated since the override was created. Use the Document Links Report to see which source links have updates.
From the Link Properties panel, you can view the following:
- Overridden destination links indicated with the color orange
- Who made the override
- When the link was last modified
To view link properties, click on a link and open the Link Properties right panel. Check out the Link Properties article to learn more.
To go directly to the overridden destination link, click Go to Link.
To generate the Document Links Report:
- Open the Link Properties right panel.
- Click Generate.
- Once the report is generated, click Open.
You can filter the Type column to display only Overridden Destination to view a list of all overrides in the document.
To go directly to the overridden destination link, click Text.
Copy a file with link overrides
When you copy a file that has link overrides, the overrides remain in the copy. If you don’t want to maintain the link overrides in the copy, remove them from the document before copying the file.