When a framework releases a new version, Workiva makes the update available in ESG Explorer . From the ESG Admin panel, you can select which version of a framework to use, use as when you're ready to view or use its latest disclosures.
Tip: Workiva automatically updates ESG Explorer with any incremental changes released between versions, such as to correct typographical errors or clarify content.
Note: When you select to use a new version of a framework, the update only affects ESG Explorer. To reflect the new version elsewhere, such as in a Spreadsheet or ESG Program, edit its framework references as necessary.
Configure a framework's version
To select a framework's version in ESG Explorer:
- From the ESG Admin panel, select the frameworks to include.
- If a framework has multiple versions available, select which one to use.
Note: Comments and bookmarks in ESG Explorer are framework version-specific. When you first update a framework's version, its comments and bookmarks no longer appear. If you revert to a previous version, its related comments and bookmarks return.
Note: Only the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards has multiple versions available in ESG Explorer.
With the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards, you can use the current 2021 version or its previous 2020 version.
Tip: The content of a GRI Standard may be identical between versions, as a new version typically updates only some — not all — Standards.
For details about the version of a topic Standard, click View effective dates to view:
- When GRI published the Standard
- When the Standard was in effect for reporting
- Whether GRI encourages its early adoption
With the 2021 version of GRI, ESG Explorer provides these changes relative to the 2020 Standards:
- Replaces GRI 101 2016 with the new GRI 1: Foundation 2021
- Replaces GRI 102 2016 with the new GRI 2: General disclosures 2021
- Replaces GRI 103 2016 with the new GRI 3: Material topics 2021
- Removed GRI 307: Environmental Compliance 2016 and GRI 419: Socioeconomic compliance 2016, both incorporated into general disclosure 2-27
- Removes GRI 412: Human rights assessment 2016, incorporated into GRI 1: Foundation 2021
The 2021 version includes the current Universal and Topic Standards from GRI, but not Sector Standards such as GRI 11: Oil and Gas Sector 2011 and GRI 12: Coal Sector 2022. To review guidance from the Sector Standards, download them from GRI.
With Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), ESG Explorer provides the current disclosures as of December 2021.
With Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), ESG Explorer provides the current disclosures as of October 2021.
For details about the version of a disclosure, click View effective dates to view when TCFD published it, and when it was in effect for reporting.
With United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG), ESG Explorer provides the current disclosures as of March 2021.