Customize the position of data labels to ensure that your charts are easy to understand. Make sure that your data labels are clearly visible. Data labels ware positioned differently for different types of charts. This article demonstrates how to set label positions in line, area, column, bar, pie, and scatter charts.
In pie and doughnut charts, all labels are positioned outside of the pie with a connector to each slice individually. Label positions move with the rotation of the chart using the Pie Rotation control in the Chart Properties panel.
As you adjust the Pie Size, the length of the connectors change automatically. You can adjust the information shown in the data labels by using the sliders for Name, Value and Percent.
Format labels and connector lines
To format connecting lines and labels:
- Select your chart or a single slice. Turn the slider on to Show Label.
- Use the sliders to choose whether to include Name, Value, and Percent.
- Use the Precision setting allows you to determine how many digits display for numeric values.
- Use the Separator drop-down to distinguish between items in a label with commas, spaces, new lines or custom separators.
- If you have labels that are too wide to display fully, use the Label Width and Padding settings to control these aspects of the label display.
- You can also change the display of the labels using the Offset Radius and Offset Angle settings to control the look and placement of the slice labels.
- Use the Connector Line color picker to set the color of the connector line. Set the line color in the color picker or choose Use Slice Color to match all of the slides and line colors automatically.