With Wdata, you can connect and consolidate data across the Workiva platform and from multiple sources.
Note: To open Wdata from Wdesk, click Wdata in the left panel.
To curate and compile data from multiple sources, you can create tables based on:
- Uploaded files
- Sheets in Spreadsheets
- API integration
Depending on your intent, you can work with data tables for information to build up over time, such as transactions or general ledger entries, or dimension tables for relational data, such as departmental rollups or fiscal year accounting. You can also share tables across workspaces and add supplemental columns or tags to track reference information or metadata about datasets such as version or source.
From Wdata Home , you can view and manage your tables on the Tables tab.
Learn more about tables.
To explore your data, you can create queries based on tables. Depending on your familiarity with Structured Query Language (SQL), you can create a query in a drag-and-drop Builder mode or compose its syntax in an Advanced Query mode to combine data from multiple source.
When you create a query, you can:
- Include formulas to apply calculations or concatenations to multiple values within the source data.
- Apply filters to segment the data or focus on only specific information, such as by account or time period.
- Create relationships between data that appears across multiple sources.
- Change—or cast—data types, such as to use numerical text data as a number or integer in the query.
From Wdata Home , you can view and manage your queries on the Queries tab.
Learn more about queries.
To help visualize and analyze query results, you can create views as tables or charts. When you create a table view, you can format it as a flat table for reference, or a pivot view to summarize the data.
To ease analysis within a view, you can:
- Apply formatting to specific columns or data that meet specific requirements or cross set thresholds.
- Include grand totals and subtotals to automatically sum amounts.
- Filter columns to include only data that meets specific characteristics.
From Wdata Home , you can view and manage your views on the View tab.
Learn more about views.
To connect data across the Workiva platform and your various data sources, you can build and automate workflows as chains. For example, you can create chains to:
- Generate queries, spreadsheets, or pivot views based on updated data or query results.
- Automatically retrieve information from a data source to generate a report in another on a routine basis.
- Set up and enable approval workflows to ensure data integrity.
Note: To enable a chain to interact with your data sources, your IT admins create connections to Workiva and other solutions. Connections to on-premise or private cloud solutions also require GroundRunners to perform tasks within each data source.
From Wdata Chains, you can view and manage your connections and chains.
Learn more about chains.