You can track the history of your document and see past revisions in the History panel. You can also copy content from a previous revision and paste into a current document, allowing you to reuse historical content.
View Document History
To access the History panel, select the History icon from the right toolbar. You’ll see a list of revisions to your document grouped by date, as well as any revisions you have marked as milestones.
Click the arrow next to a group of revisions to see more details, like who made the edits and when.
Use the History Panel
When you hover over a revision, you can click the arrow to access a menu of actions.
This menu includes:
- Open opens the revision in a new tab.
- Export PDF exports that revision of the entire document to share with collaborators outside of Workiva.
- Create Blackline allows you to compare two different revisions. Learn more about creating blacklines.
- Blackline Previous allows you to generate a blackline of two adjacent revisions.
- Send for Review (only document owners) allows you to send your current document or a revision for review. Learn more about send for review.
- Create Milestone allows you to enter a name for a milestone and add remarks.
Create and View Milestones
If you need to mark a revision as important, you can create a milestone . Milestones automatically appear in the list of revisions when you open the history panel, even if it was originally grouped with other revisions from that date.
To create a milestone:
- Hover over a revision and click the arrow.
- Select Create Milestone.
- Enter a name for your milestone and add remarks (optional).
- Click Create.
The milestone icon in the panel shows which revisions are milestones.
You can filter revisions in the History panel by milestones, starred revisions, time period, and author. This allows you to quickly find important revisions of your document.
To filter your revisions:
- Click the Show Filters icon in the top right corner of the History panel.
- To filter by milestones or starred items, check the box to Show Milestones or Show Starred. You can check both boxes to show only starred milestones.
- Use the Updated dropdown to filter by time period.
- Enter the name of an author to filter by Author.