Linking in Presentations eliminates the risk of conflicting values in your financial documents. Links ensure that a data point is consistent no matter where or how it’s displayed.
Link data into charts, tables and text. Format and customize your data for your audience. Linking saves time, allows you to make last-minute changes, and reduces the risk of errors in your documents.
A source link is the root for all other instances of that data. Create a link for dates, text, and numeric values, especially when they appear many times in one or more documents. Source links are particularly helpful when documents are updated regularly.
Link source data from a spreadsheet or a document to a value in a Presentation. Source links are indicated with a blue triangle in the upper left-hand corner of cells in a table , or with a blue underline for data in texts. Values linked from source data are called destination links.
Linking to Slide Content
To create a destination link from a source:
- Copy the value by selecting and using the right-click menu.
- Paste the value into your Presentation in a new location or over another values.
- Choose an appropriate option from the clipboard and click Apply. The options displayed depend on the type of data.
Select the top cell in the range or the top left cell in a block of values before pasting. Destination links are indicated in green with a triangle in the upper left hand corner in a cell or an underline in text.
Link Properties Panel
The Link Properties panel shows the details of a link. This includes the source location and all the destination locations. The history of a link creates a comprehensive audit trail.
The Link Properties panel indicates:
- Who made changes
- What changed
- When the changes occurred
Some common causes for not being able to move a source link include:
- The document or section containing that source link is not open.
- Someone else is editing the document or section containing the source link.
- You have changed the source of the same link group already without sharing.
- Source links can not move from text to text.