To view the data that meets a query's defined columns and parameters, run the query. You can also use and reference the results outside of the query, such as for connected reporting.
Tip: In Spreadsheets, Documents, or Presentations, you can connect a query from the Connections panel to populate a sheet, table, or chart with its results.
Run a query
To view a query's results:
- On the toolbar or under Results, click Run query .
- If the query includes parameters, select the criteria of the records to include.
- Click Run query.
- Under Results, explore the records returned by the query. If crosstab is enabled, select whether to view the results based on the query or its crosstab definition.
- If necessary, adjust how records appear within columns:
- To include only records that meet only specific criteria for a column, click its header, select the values to include, and click Apply.
- To sort the records within a column in ascending or descending order, click Sort Asc or Sort Desc in its header, or click its header, AZ or ZA, and Apply.
Create a view of results
To visualize the results of a query, such as for comparison or trend analysis, click Create view . If the query includes parameters, select the criteria of the records to include, and click Run query.
To help best analyze your data, you can transform the view from a table to a chart or pivot report. You can also format or automatically calculate the view’s columns and rows.
After you run a query, you can download its results, such as for printing or analysis outside of the Workiva Platform. Under Results, click Export , and select how to download its results:
- For a comma-separated values (CSV) file, select To CSV .
- For a Microsort Excel® (XLSX) file, select To Excel .
- For a portable document files (PDF), select Print .
Tip: To download a graphical representation of the query results, create and export a view of its data.
Export results to Spreadsheets
After you run a query, you can export its results to the sheet of a spreadsheet you have permission to in the Workiva platform.
Note: When you export a query, you retain a snapshot of its results at that moment in time. To use the results in a spreadsheet but also enable them to be refreshed with the latest data, connect the query to a sheet from the spreadsheet's Connections panel instead.
- Under Results, click Export , and select To spreadsheet .
- Select the spreadsheet and sheet to export the results to.
- Click Export to Spreadsheets.
Export results to a Wdata table
After you run a query, you can export its results to a table you have permission to in Wdata.
Note: If crosstab is enabled for a query, you can export only its crosstab results to a Wdata table. To export results based on a query instead of its crosstab layout, first disable crosstab.
- If crosstab is enabled, select Crosstab under Results.
- Click Export , and select Wdata table, Add to existing table.
- Select the table to export to, and click Add to table.
- Map the columns of the query results to the table's columns, and click Add data.
Tip: From a table, you can also add a query's results to a dataset.
View items that use results
For a list of the views, tables, and connections that use a query's results:
- From the query, its dependents appear on the Query properties panel
- From Wdata Home , select the query to view its dependents on the Details panel
View run details
From the Query properties panel, you can view information about the query's most recent run, including:
- When it ran
- How many records it returned
- How much data was queried
- How long it took