You can organize your data for easier viewing and deeper analysis using sorting and filtering.
Sort Data in Spreadsheets
To sort a range of data:
- Select the range you want to sort.
- From the Data toolbar, click Sort.
- If the selection has a header row, check Selection includes header row.
- Select the column you want to sort by from the dropdown menu and choose alphabetical (A → Z) or reverse alphabetical (Z → A).
- Click Sort.
To learn more about working with data in Spreadsheets, see Viewing Data in Spreadsheets.
Filter a Spreadsheet
- From the Data toolbar, click Filter and select Apply Filter to enable filters.
- Click the Filter icon at the top of the column you would like to filter by.
- Select the items you would like to show and hide from the list.
- Click Apply to filter the spreadsheet.
You can change the filter parameter by clicking Filter icon at the top of the column and adjusting the filter settings.
Create a Filtered View
You can use filtered views to hide data from a spreadsheet without editing the view for all collaborators.
To create a new filter:
- From the Data toolbar, click Filter and select Create View from the dropdown.
- Select the range you want to include in the filtered view.
To edit the filter:
- Select the filter icon at the top of the column you want to filter.
- Select the items you would like to see and hide from the list.
- Click Apply to apply the filter.
To save your filtered view:
- Double-click the Filter View text box to name your filter.
- Click Save in the Filter View toolbar.
You can share your filtered view by clicking the arrow next to the Save button and selecting Copy Link. You can send this link to collaborators, which sends them a copy of your spreadsheet with the filter automatically applied.
Use an Existing Filtered View
To open an existing filtered view:
- From the Data toolbar, click Filter.
- Select Open from the dropdown.
- Click the filtered view from the list that you want to apply.