After creating your spreadsheet, you can add, organize, and permission spreadsheets from the Document Outline. You can also use Spreadsheet Properties to manage document-wide default settings.
Add and organize sheets
Add a new sheet
To add a new sheet to your spreadsheet:
- Click the left panel to open the document outline.
- Click Add Before or Add After at the top of the panel.
You can add up to 1,000 individual sheets to one spreadsheet file. If you need to create a new spreadsheet, see Creating and Importing Spreadsheets.
Reorder, promote, and demote sheets
You can change the order of sections using the Move Up and Move Down icons in the document outline. To move a section up or down in level, use the Promote and Demote icons. You can also move sheets by clicking and dragging.
To move multiple sheets by clicking and dragging, or to promote and demote multiple sheets at one time, hold Ctrl (Windows) or ⌘+C (Mac) on your keyboard and click on each sheet before completing these outline actions.
You can duplicate a sheet in the outline by right-clicking on the sheet and selecting Duplicate. To duplicate multiple sheets at once, hold Ctrl (Windows) or ⌘+C (Mac) on your keyboard and click on each sheet before duplicating.
You can filter your sheets by keyword using the Filter option. Click the Show filter icon at the top of the panel and type your keywords in the Search bar. Press ENTER on your keyboard to apply the filter.
Change sheet permissions
After adding a sheet to a document, you can change permissions for the individual sheet. To access sheet permissions, right-click the sheet name in the document outline and choose Sheet Permissions .
There are three types of permissions:
- Owners have full rights to the document and can manage permissions
- Editors can make changes and add new sheets
- Viewers can look at a spreadsheet but can’t make any changes
The Permissions editor shows the current groups and collaborators. Use the search box or scroll down the list to find collaborators. You can use the Filter button in the upper right corner of the editor to view collaborators by permission level.
Click the radio button next to a collaborator’s name to give them appropriate access. To remove permission, hover over a collaborator’s name and click the that appears on the right.
You can adjust spreadsheet-wide settings, like default languages and formats, from Spreadsheet Properties.
To access the Spreadsheet Properties window:
- Select the File toolbar.
- From the Properties icon, select Spreadsheet.
GeneralThe General tab lets you make document-wide changes. Use this section to:
- Change your document’s Name
- Set whether or not all editors can publish links
- Set permissions for approving track changes
- Change Language and Formats including text, number, and date formatting based on your document’s language
From the Formats tab, you can:
- Set document-wide Entered In and Shown In preferences
- Change whether formulas are calculated as displayed or with full precision
- Automatically adjust the number of decimal places
- Choose to automatically resize each row's height to fit the contents of the largest cell
- Edit your spreadsheet's style guide
In the Limits tab, you can view the total numbers and available limits for Cells, Sheets, Total Links, Source Links and Destination links. These numbers update immediately when changes are made in a spreadsheet and the dialog box is reopened.