You can link data from a spreadsheet to other files to keep data consistent across all documents. The Publish feature pushes your changes from source cells to destination links.
Linking from Spreadsheets
After you add data to your spreadsheet, you can link cells to other documents. When you link the cell to another document, the link in your spreadsheet becomes your source link and is identified by a blue indicator .
To create a link from a cell:
- Select the cell and use your keyboard or right-click to copy the cell.
- Use your keyboard to paste the cell into your other Workiva file.
- From the clipboard , select Create Links from and choose the appropriate option.
If you change a linked value in the source spreadsheet, an orange indicator appears to show the change is unpublished.
Publishing Your Links
When you first create a link the change automatically publishes. You must click Publish for any changes you make after creating the initial link.
Sheets have different indicators depending on whether changes were made by you or another collaborator:
- Sheets with pending changes from you have a solid gray triangle indicator in the document outline.
- Sheets with pending changes from other collaborators have a gray triangle indicator with an underline .
Cells with pending changes have a blue indicator with an orange underline.
Clicking the Publish button shares your pending links and updates any references to that link, such as formulas, but does not affect link changes from other users.
When there are changes by collaborators that impact a formula, publishing includes your changes, impacted formulas, and changes collaborators made that impacted that formula. This ensures formulas are accurate across linked documents.
The publisher can see whose changes were released by clicking the notification in the bottom right. Anyone whose changes were published this way also receives a notification.
Publishing All Links
By default, publishing in Spreadsheets only publishes link changes made by you. If you are a document owner, you can choose to publish pending link changes made by all collaborators in your spreadsheet.
Note: This publishes all pending link changes from all users and cannot be undone.
To publish all links:
- Click the next to the publish button to open the dropdown menu.
- Choose Publish All Links. Confirm your choice to publish all pending link changes.