The Document Outline provides an overview of how sections are organized. From the outline, you can create, rename, and delete sections, as well as reorder the document's hierarchy.
Add and delete document sections
To add a new section:
- Select a section.
- Click the Add Before or Add After icon at the top of the outline panel.
- Double-click the section title to rename the new section.
To delete a section:
- Right-click the section title
- Click Delete .
- Confirm your choice.
To split part a section to create a new section:
- Place your cursor in the document where you want to start the split.
- Right-click. Select the option to Split to New Section .
Resize the Document Outline panel
To resize the Document Outline panel, hover over the edge of the panel and click and drag the panel.
You can collapse the entire panel by clicking the Collapse/Expand Outline icon located in the upper left. Click Collapse/Expand Outline icon again to expand the Document Outline.
Organize the Document Outline panel
You can reorder sections and move them up or down in level by dragging the section to the desired position.
You can also move sections up and down in the hierarchy using the Move Up and Move Down icons in the Document Outline toolbar. To move multiple sections, hold down shift and clicking on the sections. Then drop them in their new spot.
To bulk duplicate or delete sections, select multiple sections by holding down SHIFT on your keyboard, or hold CTRL to select sections that aren't next to each other. From there, right-click to duplicate or delete the selected sections.
To move a section in the hierarchy, use the Promote and Demote icons. To expand or collapse a section of the outline hierarchy, click the arrow next to that section.
Filter the Document Outline
You can filter your document's sections by keyword using the Filter option.
To apply a filter:
- Click the Show filter icon at the top of the panel.
- Type your keywords in the Search bar.
- Press Enter on your keyboard to apply the filter.
If there are sections in your document that you don't have access to, you can hide them from the outline by checking Hide Restricted Sections.