After you start the filing, continue by collecting and labeling your filing documents.
Collect and Label Overview
Here is an overview of collecting and labeling source documents:
In this step, you’ll add all the necessary source documents to the filing. This includes the main filing document, like a 10-K, exhibits, and any other supporting documents. As you add source filing documents, Wdesk automatically generates the necessary EDGAR files (EDGARize), which includes the XBRL. When documents are EDGARized, they are converted to SEC-compliant HTM files.
After you start a filing, add source filing documents to it:
- Click Add Source Documents on the Collect step.
- Select source filing documents:
- Add next generation documents for the filing. Classic document types are not allowed in next generation filings.
- (Optional) Add PDFs to:
- File the PDF as an exhibit. Wdesk converts it to an SEC-compliant HTM file for EDGAR.
- Include the PDF as an unofficial copy of filing documents. This option keeps it as a PDF file, it is not converted.
After adding source filing documents, you can make updates to filing documents. Use the other information in this article to continue to the Label step in Filing.
File Multiple XBRL Documents
If you need to include multiple documents with XBRL when filing, you will need to make sure to follow certain steps to prevent XBRL conflicts and to file smoothly.
- Make sure all documents included in the filing use the same XBRL profile. Documents with different profiles cannot be filed in the same project.
- Add all the documents you’d like to file, including all the documents with XBRL.
- Click Set as primary XBRL Document next to the document you want to designate as the primary filing document.
- After you set the primary XBRL document, confirm that the other documents have been included in your primary document then remove the other XBRL documents.
NOTE: Generated file names are based on your XBRL namespace prefix, document period end date, and the label applied in the Label step of Filing. Generated names may not match the file name in the Workiva platform.
Once you've set the primary XBRL document for the filing, you can continue to follow this article for further guidance on filing.
View and Remove Source Filing Documents
After adding source filing documents, you can open them from the Collect step to make changes, take a look at the generated EDGAR files to make sure they look correct, and remove source filing documents you don’t need.
To view and manage files:
- Click a source document to show the list of its generated files.
- Preview the EDGAR version of a source document by clicking its generated .htm file. This opens the EDGAR file in a separate browser tab.
- Open a source document in Wdesk by clicking the drop-down menu on the right and selecting Open Document.
- Remove a source document by clicking the drop-down menu on the right and selecting Remove Document.
Use the Label step to set filing types, enter exhibit extensions, and provide descriptions for your filing documents.
- Select and enter the necessary information:
- Filing type: Select the filing type. Type the name of the filing type in the Search field to narrow the results.
- Exhibit extension: Enter the number extension for the exhibit section. For example, when the filing includes EX-31, enter 1 for EX-31.1.
- Description (optional): Enter a description for the document. This is helpful for exhibit documents.
- Click Next to continue.