I couldn't find any specific resource to aid in troubleshooting Wdesk Sync, so leaving this here as a future reference for the community; hopefully someone will find this helpful.
During our organization's adoption of Sync, we encountered a temporary file error when attempting to run a sync. We had no issues with the installation of the Excel add-in and there were no issues connecting to Wdesk.
Some of the troubleshooting suggestions I received from support were as follows (they may work for you):
- Wdesk has a limit of 2,000,000 cells in a spreadsheet - you cannot sync a spreadsheet that has more cells than this.
- Remove any password protection from the file being synced.
- Remove all named references from the file (Formulas > Name Manager). If you'd like to keep your named references, the troubleshooting log may identify the specific references causing the function to fail.
- Save the file as an .xls (note: .xlsx does work for us so this may be system dependent).
- Reduce the file size to < 1.3MB (note: we have successfully synced larger workbooks, so this also may be system dependent).
For our specific situation, we only needed to remove all named references; it's possible this may not work for all.