When importing a Word document or DOCX format, there are a couple things you can do prior to import that can improve the look of your document after importing. This would include converting auto-text to plain text, and removing unneeded section breaks.
Converting auto text to plain text
Auto text often consist of items such as numbered list, and can be helpful for reasons such as importing legal documents. To convert the auto text, you'll need to use the Visual Basic Editor tool:
- Open the document in Word that you wish to convert
- Press ALT+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor
- On the View menu, choose Immediate Window and type the following: ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText and press Enter
- Close the Immediate Window
- Save the Word document
Remove unneeded section breaks
When importing a Word document into Wdesk, a section is created in the Wdesk document for each 'Section Break' it finds within your Word file. This could result in unneeded section breaks in your imported document.
To prevent the importing from automatically creating unwanted sections, you can remove the section breaks in Word prior to importing:
- In the Word file, go to the Home tab and select Replace.
- Expand the Special drop-down menu and select Section Break.
- For the Replace with field, keep it blank.
- Replace them one-by-one or Replace All.
- Save the Word document.
After converting auto text and removing unneeded section breaks, you can now easily import the Word document into Wdesk.