When preparing your documents for a new quarter, you can use the documents you've filed previously as a base for the new quarter's documents.
Rolling a 10-Q to a 10-Q or a 10-K to a 10-K
When copying a document, select Keep link to original source files in the Links options under Copy Includes. This will eliminate additional files rolling forward each quarter and keep the links to the original source file(s).
Rolling forward a BDC Schedule of Investments
- Copy the folder you want to roll forward in order to create the documents you will update for the roll forward process. For more information on copying a folder, see Copy a file or folder.
Because the copied documents are linked to the spreadsheet, XBRL will roll forward by copying the folder containing the previously-filed document(s).
- After creating a document for the current period, update the spreadsheet followed by the linked 10-Q or 10-K document. For more information on linking, see Link and publish in Spreadsheets.
To add an investment, insert a new row in your spreadsheet and the document. To remove an investment, first remove any links in the row and then delete the row in the spreadsheet and document. This function should be performed individually for all investments that are added or removed.
- After adding investments, make sure to add any necessary links. Sub-cell linking should be performed where applicable (see interest column as an example), allowing inline XBRL to be applied appropriately. Updates to the linked sub-cell values should also be done in the spreadsheet. For more information on sub-cell linking, see Creating multiple links in a cell.
Note: To preserve XBRL, do not copy and paste over the schedule in the document, and make sure updates are made in the spreadsheet. Instead, add or remove a row to the applicable table in the linked 10-Q or 10-K document, then apply links from the spreadsheet to that row.
Updating 10-K prior year SOI and other disclosures by copying from another filing
When rolling forward your schedule of investments or other disclosures, you will need to update your 10K.
- In the 10-Q, place the cursor to the left of the SOI, then use shift + right arrow to select the entire table. Copy the table with Ctrl + C, then paste the SOI in the desired location in the 10-K document. If the copied SOI was linked to a Spreadsheet, new destination links will be created once pasted to the original Spreadsheet. If all values needing XBRL are linked, you can proceed directly to copying XBRL to the profile.
- If the copied SOI was not linked to a Spreadsheet or only partially linked, links must be copied manually. To manually copy links, first copy the cells in the 10-Q SOI that need links in 10K. In the newly pasted SOI, select the same range and paste over using the copied cells. After pasting, choose Create Links from and Cells with Values from the paste options. This will create new links to the copied SOI. Once all values needing XBRL are linked, you will need to copy XBRL to the profile.
Copy XBRL to profile
Once all values needing XBRL are linked, copy XBRL from the 10-Q XBRL profile to the 10-K using Copy XBRL from another profile. Click the upper left corner of the table to select all facts, then apply dates. XBRL footnotes must be manually applied.
Finally, to copy the prior year SOI table from the 10-K to the 10-Q, use the procedure above but copy the current year 10-K SOI table to the 10-Q.
Sorting/Adding new lines or sections to the SOI while maintaining XBRL
If you need to move investments within a section, you have two options.
Move investments using the Sort function
If reordering investments within the same sub-grouping (by $ value, %, name, industry, etc), the sort function may be used.
- Select the range of data to sort
- Under the Data menu, select Sort
- Uncheck Selection includes header row.
- Select the column to sort by.
- Select A→Z or Z→A, for ascending or descending order
To keep the document and spreadsheet in alignment, perform this sort in both locations
Move investments using cut and paste
- Insert a row or rows where the investment(s) will be relocated.
- Select the target existing row and cut the information, then paste the investment row or selection of cells to the new location. Make sure to cut the original selection and not copy.
- Delete blank rows or cells from the old location.
To keep the document and spreadsheet in alignment, perform this process in both locations.