Process files enable you to automate a workflow by assigning tasks and requesting approvals, all in one place. In this article, you'll learn how to create a process and add actions.
Create a process
Before assigning your tasks and content requests, you’ll need to create a process file.
Note: While multiple collaborators can edit a process, only one user at a time can make edits. If multiple users are editing a process at once, some updates might not be saved.
To create a new process:
- From Home, click Create .
- From the menu, select Process.
- Double-click the process name to edit.
- Expand the drop-down menu to select the action trigger.
- All at the same time starts all actions as soon as you run your process
- One after another waits for the first action in the process to finish before starting the next one
- Manual allows you to manually start each action once you run your process
You can also click Properties in the toolbar to:
- Change the process Name
- Select a Process due date as a goal for when the process should be completed. The process continues to run if the due date passes and the process still isn't complete.
- Change the Action trigger
- Change the Certifications options
After creating your process, you can add your first action from the Add action button in the toolbar or within the editor. There are four types of actions:
- Tasks notify collaborators of an assignment to complete
- Content requests are tasks attached to a specific section of a file, automatically granting the selected user permission to add their content
- Certifications are tasks specifically for sending out letters to be signed
- Bulk certifications are for sending out copies of a single letter to multiple people at once. A separate certification action for each assignee will be added to the process.
Note: Content requests are currently only available in ESG solutions and in the Data Collection or ESG Compliance add-ons.
For content requests, assignees receive Editor permission to the selected file location once the action starts. After the assignee completes the task, the approver (if assigned) receives a task to review their work, as well as Viewer permission to your file.
Note: After marking the task complete, both the assignee and approver will retain Viewer access. Learn more about Processes here, including permissions in tasks.
For more information about certification actions, see Add certification actions to processes.
After adding an action, fill out the fields directly in the row or in the Action details right panel. Click a row to view more details in the panel. Each action must include the following information:
- Title: The name of your action
- Assigned to: The collaborator that needs to complete the task
From the Action details panel, you can also add:
- Due date (optional): Let your assignee know when the task needs to be completed
- Approval by (optional): Assign a collaborator to approve the assignee’s content or return it for further rework
- Approval due (optional): Let the approver know when they should submit their approval by
- Instructions (optional): Add any additional information needed to complete the task
- Tags (optional): Add tags to provide identifying information about the action by selecting a category and a value (ex: Priority: High).
If your action is a Content request, you'll also need to add a File and Section. This is optional for a Task.
To change the order of your actions, move them up or down using the toolbar.
Duplicate an action
You can duplicate actions using the drop-down menu next to each action. Duplicate actions to quickly create tasks attached to the same file location.
To duplicate an action:
- Click the arrow next to your action.
- Select Duplicate action.
When you duplicate an action, it is placed directly below the selected action. You can also select Add action after to create a copy of the same action type with all fields empty.
Bulk edit users
If you want to change a user for all actions where they're an assignee or approver, you can edit that user in bulk.
To bulk edit users:
- From the Edit toolbar, click Bulk edit and select Users.
- Select the user you want to replace. Then specify which of that user's actions you want to change by choosing Assignee, Approver, or Assignee or approver. For example, if you want to change all actions where that user is at least the assignee, select Assignee.
- Select the new user you want to replace the original user with.
- Review the matching actions to make sure you want to edit the user for those actions.
- Click Save to make the changes.
Bulk edit action dates
If you have multiple actions with the same due date or approval due date, you can edit the assigned date in bulk.
To bulk edit action due dates:
- From the Edit toolbar, click Bulk edit and select the date you’d like to edit–Due date or Approval due.
- Select the new dates in the TO column. Expand the row to see all the actions where the date will be changed.
- Click Save to make the changes.
Delete an action
To delete an action from the process:
- Click the drop-down arrow next to your action.
- Select Delete action.
You can also select an action and click Delete action in the toolbar.