With dynamic variables, you can define custom values when a chain runs or during the execution of a chain, such as based on a previous command's output. To pause a chain's run to prompt for dynamic variables' values before proceeding to the next command, include a Set Dynamic Chain Variables event.
Note: When you add the event to a chain, you set the default values for its first run. After that, the event automatically uses the values from its previous run. To set the values at the start of a chain's run, add a Runtime Inputs trigger event instead.
Step 1: Add the event to the chain
- In Chain Builder, from the Chains tab, click Edit for the chain.
- Click Chain Events
- Drag a link to the event from the previous node in the chain.
Note: To change a node's position in the chain, unlink it from other nodes, and then move it to where it should occur. To move multiple nodes at once, hold SHIFT as you select them.
Step 2: Set the dynamic variables' default values
- Select the event's node, and click Edit
- Under Basic Info, enter a unique name and description to help identify the event.
- Under Action, select the dynamic chain variable to set.
- In Value, enter the variable's default value, or select the previous command's output or runtime variable to provide the value.
Tip: To concatenate multiple values for a dynamic variable, such as to include a prefix or separator, select the values to use, and enter the text to appear before or after each.
- To define additional dynamic variables, click Add , and set their values.
- Click Save.
Step 3. Add a skip condition (if necessary)
To set the variables based on branching logic, you can set up a skip condition and automatically return a specific result.
- Under Skip
- To specify when to skip the event, build the conditional logic as a group you add rules and other groups of rules to, each joined with an AND or OR.
- If all conditions must be true to skip, select AND.
- If only one condition must be true, select OR.
Is not blank
Matches RegExp, for regular expression
- Click Save.