If you want to restrict the input of a cell in a spreadsheet, you can create dropdown menus using Data Validation.
Create a rule
To create a new validation rule:
- Select a cell.
- From the Data toolbar, click Validation and choose Create a rule to open the Data Validation panel.
- Enter a name for the new rule in the first text box.
- Adjust the cells in the second text box if different than the current selection.
- Choose how to create your dropdown options:
- Use List to create a new list of options within the rule.
- Use List (from a range) to enter in a range to reference within the rule.
- Use List (from a formula) to enter in a formula to reference within the rule.
- Click Save Rule to finish.
To manage existing rules:
- Click Validation in the toolbar and choose Manage rules to open the Data Validation panel.
- Hover over the rule you want to modify and click the drop down arrow to open the menu.
- Choose to edit the rule, apply it to a selection, or delete the rule.
Remove a rule
To remove a rule or rules from a selection:
- Highlight the cells you want to edit.
- From the Data toolbar, click Validation, then select Remove rules.
- Click Selected cells to remove all rules from your selection.
You can remove all validations from the sheet by choosing Current from the validation menu.