You can create numbered or bulleted lists in your document to organize your content. You can customize your list's style and text from the Paragraph Properties panel.
Create a list
To create a new list:
- Click where you want to add your list.
- From the Edit toolbar, select bulleted list or numbered list .
- To select a different bullet or numbering format, click the arrow next to the icon to access the dropdown menu. To learn how to use Format Painter to customize your bullets, see Format Painter.
You can also create a list in your document manually by entering a number or letter on a new line, followed by a period and a space. This automatically creates the first list entry.
Adjust the level of list items
You can divide lists into different subsections by adjusting the levels of your list items.
To adjust the level of an item:
- Highlight the line you want to adjust.
- From the Edit toolbar, select Increase Indent or press Tab on your keyboard.
To return an item to its original level:
- Highlight the list item you want to adjust.
- From the Edit toolbar, select Decrease Indent or press Shift + Tab on your keyboard.
Edit list properties
You can edit list properties, such as bullet and number type, from the Paragraph Properties panel.
To manage list properties:
- Right-click your list.
- From the menu, select Paragraph Properties to open the Lists options.
You can access different formatting options from the Lists section:
- Continue numbering from previous item lets you continue list numbering from a previous list.
- Restart numbering allows you to reset the numbering for numbered lists and choose which number you want to restart at.
- List Text adds text to each list item. A prefix appears before the list item, while a suffix appears after the list item.
Restart or continue list numbering
For numbered lists, you can reset the numbering at any time using the Restart Numbering tool.
To restart list numbering:
- Right-click the point in the list where you want to restart numbering.
- From the menu, select Restart Numbering to reset the selected item to 1. The following items are numbered sequentially.
You can also use this feature to return the list to its original numbering format or to continue numbering across sections.
To continue list numbering:
- Right-click the point in the list you want to return to the original numbering.
- From the menu, select Continue Numbering to reset the numbering to its original sequence.
- When choosing Continue Numbering from the right-click menu or Continue numbering from previous item in the right-hand panel, lists that are created across multiple sections will be continuous.
List Styles - List styles allow you to apply uniform formatting to your bullet and numbered lists within a document, spreadsheet, or presentation.
Numbered list references - Numbered list references allow you to insert a hyperlink that directs users to an existing list number in your document.