This article is for:
- Workspace Owners
You can create copies of files or folders to make duplicates or to roll forward from one reporting period to the next. This lets you keep the original file intact, and then work with the new file going forward. When you copy files, it keeps the permissions from the original files.
There are several settings that let you customize how your files are copied. Copying files keeps the permissions set on the files, but resets revision history.
Copy and link settings
When you copy files, you can select copy and link settings to determine how items are handled in the copy. This lets you adjust your preferences based your situation.
- Include comments: This option copies any comments on the file and keeps them on the new files
- Include outline labels: This option copies any outline labels used, including any custom labels you've created
- Include Wdata connections: This option keeps any Wdata connections in the new files
Note: Only available when you copy a folder that contains completely next gen files.
- Create Copies of Linked Files: This creates copies of any files with source links connected to the files you selected.
- Keep Links to Linked Files: This does not create copies of linked files outside of your selection, but keeps the selected files linked to the original source files. To use this option, keep source files outside of the files selected to be copied. Otherwise, if they are included with the files selected to be copied, they too will be copied.
- Remove Links to Linked Files: This ignores any linked source files outside of your selection and remove those links, but keeps the last published link value.
When you copy an item, you can choose where you want to save your new files.
- New Folder Name: Enter a new folder name for the copied folder.
- Location: Select where you want to put the new copied folder. If no folder is selected, it will be placed in the root directory.
Copy a folder
Note: You can copy folders to roll forward if you are using all next gen files.
To create a copy of a folder:
- In Files, find the folder you want to copy.
- Right-click on the folder and click Copy .
- Review the selected folder and then click Next >. Please note, any projects or filings in the folder will not be copied.
- Select copy settings and if applicable, link settings. Then, enter a folder name and choose a folder location where you want to put the copied folder.
- Click Copy to finish. You’ll receive an email with a link to the copied folder.
Copy a file
To create a copy of file:
- In Files or Home, find the file.
- Right-click the item and select Copy .
- Review the selected files and then click Next >.
- Select copy settings and if applicable, link settings. Then, enter a folder name and choose a folder location where you want to put the copied file.
- Click Copy to finish. You’ll receive an email with a link to the copied files.
You’ll see the status of the copy in the lower right. Click Open Folder in the lower right when it completes.