Workiva provides tools and resources to help you be successful in your day-to-day work. However, there can be factors outside of your control that can interrupt this. Review the potential disruptions and best practices below to help you mitigate risks of filing delays. Also, your Customer Success Manager (CSM) can help you prepare a backup plan.
If Workiva is unavailable
While we anticipate Workiva platform availability at all times, there are rare situations when Workiva may be unavailable:
- Check the Workiva status page to see if there are any reported outages.
- Check to see if you cannot get to other websites. If so, this is likely due to either a local or regional internet outage. Use the guidelines below.
- If you can get to other websites, contact Support to begin the manual filing process with the SEC. You must have previously backed up your filing documents. See instructions below.
If the internet is unavailable
Local internet outage
When internet service in your office, building, or home is unavailable unexpectedly:
Have a team member with permissions in another location as a backup when you cannot file due to local internet problems.
Use a mobile hotspot or another nearby location with a secure internet connection.
Note: If your computer is not a laptop, be sure to test out the computer at this secondary location in advance to determine that the technical environment will support your needs.
Regional internet outage
When internet service in your geographic region may be unavailable, eliminating the option for nearby internet access to submit the filing or work on a document:
- Have a team member with permissions in another location as a backup when you cannot work or submit a filing due to local internet problems.
- Contact your CSM who can help you by starting the live filing. Talk to your CSM for more information on this option.
Back up documents
If you are working on a time-sensitive document, you can download a backup to your computer in case of an outage.
Here are steps to help you export and download your files from Workiva:
- Always download a copy of your filing documents as a backup in case of any filing disruption.
If the SEC website is unavailable or slow
The SEC website may be unexpectedly slow or unavailable. This happens most often at peak filing periods, especially around the 5:30 PM EST cutoff.
- Schedule the filing well before the 5:30 PM EST cutoff. This is the best way to avoid missing a deadline due to SEC website delays or slowness.
- If you miss the filing deadline due to an SEC issue, historically, the SEC has accepted requests for a filing date adjustment. However, there is no guarantee.