The HFM Data & Metadata Extract Examples template provides a starting point for extracting data and metadata from Oracle Hyperion Financial Management (HFM). It demonstrates some common data preparation activities that you may encounter when consuming data in the Workiva platform, and can help you build out your HFM integration.
- Because HFM is an on-premises application, all HFM commands require a GroundRunner installation.
Build your chain
The HFM Data & Metadata Extract Examples template is located in the Workiva Chains section of the Templates screen.
Here's how to find it:
- In Chain Builder, go to the Templates screen.
- Select Workiva Chains from the menu at the top.
- Search for HFM Data & Metadata Extract Examples at the top right and open the template.
After locating your template, configure it to for your workspace using the variables and other information listed below.
Note: For detailed instructions on creating a chain from a template, see the Create and manage chains article.
|CV_HFM App Name
This is the name of the HFM application upon which the Commands will operate. The application name is case sensitive.
This is the language in the HFM application profile in which you want the metadata elements to be extracted. This is only required if using the metadata extract branch of the template.
This is the name of the HFM dimension for which metadata will be extracted. When custom dimensions are assigned an alias, this should be the alias of the dimension and not the custom number. This is only required if using the metadata extract branch of the template.
The following chain nodes in this template can be customized to fit your workspace:
- Extract HFM Data: This node is used to specify the extract parameters that control how data is extracted from HFM. The description field contains extensive information on how to configure this command.
- Add Proper Header: This node is used to add a header to the extract file and assumes a standard 12-dimension HFM model. The header labels can be modified as needed to align with the HFM dimensionality.
- Extract Metadata: This node is used to specify which dimension to extract from HFM. Do not select more than one dimension. Please review the command description for additional information.
- Element List to CSV - Parse Metadata XML to CSV: This node is used to convert the XML metadata extract to a CSV format. The default configuration return the member, its default parent, and the description. Additional fields may be added as needed.
- Fix HFM Formatting - Data Extract and Fix HFM Formatting - Metadata: These nodes are used to convert the HFM extracts from UTF-16 to UTF-8 file encoding. If the HFM application is not UTF-16 encoded then these nodes can be removed and the Outputs used in the dependent nodes need to be adjusted.
- OPTIONAL - Metadata Extract: This branch is created as a Command Group; all metadata operations can be removed by simply deleting the Command Group. This branch is optional and is intended to show how to perform and process an HFM metadata extract.