By nesting files inside of binders, you can organize them for a better structure to enhance the review process.
There are several ways to organize your files using nesting, including tabs which allow you to create groupings of nested files. You can also organize your files by moving them around within the binder.
Nest a file
Any file can be nested within another file in the binder.
Note: You can only nest files up to five levels.
There are three ways to nest a file within a file:
- Drag and drop a file on top of another file.
- Select the file and click Demote in the Edit Toolbar.
- Right-click on the file and select Demote from the menu.
To add a file to an existing nested group:
- Select the file you want to nest into the group.
- Drag the file into the nested group into the correct level.
The file is now nested within the existing group. Similarly, you can use the Move Up and Move Down actions to move the file to the correct level and click Demote.
All files within the nested group will move together when you organize the files in the binder.
Move files in a binder
You can move files within a binder by clicking Move Up or Move Down in the Edit toolbar or right-clicking on a file to open up its menu.
To move a file up
- Select the file and drag it up in the binder.
- Select the file and click on the right menu or use the toolbar. Then, click Move Up.
To move a file down
- Select the file and drag it down in the binder.
- Select the file and click on the right menu or use the toolbar. Then, click Move Down.
Move a file that's within a nested group
To move a file that’s within nested files, click on the file that is the top of the nested group and drag it to the place that you want.
You can also use the toolbar menu or right click menu to select the direction you want to move the file and its nested files.
Note: If you select the file that isn’t the top of the nested group, then it will only move the selected file and not the rest of the nested files.
Move a file out from a nested group
There are three ways move a file out of a nested group:
- Drag the file out of the group.
- Select the file and use Edit toolbar. Click Promote until it moves up the levels.
- Select the file and use the right-click menu. Click Promote until it moves up the levels.
Use a tab
Tabs store files within itself for organization. By having a tab, this adds another row to the binder and they are indicated by a folder icon which you can interact with.
To add tab:
- In your binder, click the Add Tab button. A new tab will appear in the binder.
- To add files to the tab, drag and drop them on top of the tab or demote them underneath the tab.
To rename a tab:
- Click on the tab.
- Open the Properties panel.
- Double-click on the Display name field and rename your tab.
To remove a tab:
- Click on the X button next to the tab.
- If there are files nested in the tab, you’ll be told that the files will be removed along with the tab. To go ahead, click Remove.
You can remove one file at a time from your binder. If you remove a file that was created outside of Workiva, you’ll no longer have access to it within the platform.