Designed Reporting features are a part of an extension that's available to all solutions. Reach out to your Customer Success Manager to get access.
Floating objects are text boxes, tables, images, charts, and shapes that you can freely move and position on the document page. The mobility of these objects increases the flexibility in the placement and position options of these objects. You can insert these floating objects in your file, move and format the objects, and update the Object Properties.
Insert a floating object
You can insert the following floating objects in your document: text box, table, image, chart, or shape.
To insert a text box in your file:
Navigate to the Edit tab and select Text box.
- Click and drag to create your text box.
The text box is added to your document page.
Move floating objects
Each floating object is anchored to the nearest paragraph that the object is drawn or placed, which is indicated by the blue anchor in the top left corner of the object. You can also use guidelines to align objects on the page.
To move floating objects in your document:
- Select the object you want to move, and hover over the edge until your cursor shows a double arrow.
Click and drag to move the object. You can also click and drag the anchor to move the object.
As the object is moved on the page, it will anchor to the nearest paragraph. The object will move with the paragraph text as it’s edited.
Use the orange guidelines to align the objects as you reposition them.
Note: You can hold down the Shift key to move the shape in a perfect vertical or horizontal line.
Format a floating object
You can format the floating objects on the page by resizing, reordering, aligning, or distributing the objects.
After selecting an object, click and drag a corner or side to resize the object. For lines, click and drag an endpoint to resize. You can also enter a custom object size within the Object Properties.
Under the Edit tab, use the following options to reorder the objects on the file page:
Align or distribute objects
With multiple objects selected, go to the Align/Distribute icon in the Edit tab. Objects can be aligned horizontally or vertically to the page or to a selected object. They can also be distributed evenly by clicking on the horizontal or vertical Distribute icons.
Update the Object Properties
When an object is selected, the Object Properties panel will appear, allowing you to update the following properties:
- Text wrap - Style an object in front of or behind text, or to wrap around the file text.
- Margins - Increase the left, right, top, and bottom margins around the outside of an object when Wrap Text is selected in the Style dropdown. file.
- Size - Change the height and width of an object.
- Position - Enter the X and Y position to update the object’s location on the page. You can also change the shape or line.
- Padding - Inside a text box or shape, add padding to the left side, right side, top, or bottom.
Delete a floating object
To delete a floating object, select the object and click Backspace or Delete on your keyboard to remove it from the document page. If you select text or content in your document where a floating object is anchored, both the content and object will be deleted.
Floating objects limitations
- Floating content in PDF blacklines aren't expected until October 2024.
- In-App blacklines already support the new features.
- Applying automated footnotes in floating objects isn't supported.