Customize the position of data labels to ensure that your charts are easy to understand. Make sure that your data labels are clearly visible. Data labels are positioned differently for different types of charts. This article demonstrates how to set label positions in line and area charts.
Emphasize a single chart label
To emphasize a specific data point by showing a label for a single point in your line or area chart, use the settings available in the Chart Properties panel:
- Choose the label series from the drop-down in the Series section of the Chart Properties panel.
- Toggle Show Labels to the off position.
- Then select the specific point in the second drop-down in the Series section.
- Now toggle Show Labels for this single point.
Set label positions for a series
To set label positions for a series in a line or area chart:
- Right-click on your chart to open the Chart Properties panel.
- Go to the Series section.
- Choose a series to work with from the drop-down menu or click on the series in the chart to activate it.
- Use the Placement drop-down to select the position of the data labels in relation to the data point.
Set positions for all labels
To set labels positions for all of your data points at the same time, select All Series from the Series drop-down and then choose your desired position from the Placement drop-down.
If you are working with an area chart, the same label options are available. Check to see that your labels are visible against any shaded areas.