After creating sections in your document, you can use hyperlinks and embedded tables to make a table of contents.
Set Up a Table
To keep your sections organized, you can create a specific section for your table of contents. To create a new section:
- From the Document Outline panel, select the first section in your document.
- Click the Add Section Before icon to add a new section. You can click and drag the section to change its place in the outline.
- Double-click the section title and enter "Table of Contents."
Next, insert a table:
- From the Edit toolbar, click Insert and select Table from the menu. This inserts a 5 x 10 table.
- Delete columns C:E by selecting the columns, right-clicking the column headers, and selecting Delete.
From here, you can add the names of each section in Column A.
Add Section Hyperlinks
To navigate directly to your sections via section titles, you can create section hyperlinks in your table. To add a section hyperlink:
- Double-click the cell to edit its content.
- Highlight a section title and right-click.
- Select Insert Hyperlink from the menu.
- Click the radio button next to Section in this document and select your section by clicking the arrow .
- Click Create to add your hyperlink.
Note: This table does not update automatically with changes to the document outline. If you change the order of your sections, you'll need to manually update their order in the table.
Add Page Numbers
After adding your section titles in Column A, you can now add corresponding page numbers in Column B.
To insert page numbers:
- Double-click a cell in Column B to edit its content
- From the Edit toolbar, click Insert .
- Select Auto Text and choose Section Page Number.
- Select the section title from the list and click Insert. This automatically adds a hyperlinked page number to the cell. If this section moves to a different page, this number updates automatically.
Once you add section titles and page numbers, you can customize your table's formatting. Leader dots are commonly used in the first column of a table of contents.
To add leader dots:
- Right-click the Column A header to select the entire column and click Cell Properties in the menu.
- From the Advanced Options section, open the Leader menu.
- Select the spacing for your leader dots.