You can use comments to leave remarks and collaborate with others in a spreadsheet, including @ mentioning others to notify collaborators.
Add a comment
To add a comment in a spreadsheet:
- Single-click a cell or group of cells.
- Right-click the selection and choose Add Comment from the dropdown menu.
- In the Comments panel, type your comment.
- Click Post to add your comment.
You can mention both individual users and workspace groups to notify them directly about your comment. Type @ in the comment box to view a list of users and existing groups, including document owners, editors, or viewers.
You can use the Comments panel to manage your spreadsheet's comments. If you are a document owner, you can create, reply to, resolve, move, and delete comments. If you are an editor or viewer, you can perform any of these actions but can only delete your own comments.
To manage comments:
- Hover over a comment in the Comments panel.
- Click the arrow.
- Select an option from the dropdown menu.
You can edit an existing comment by clicking the pencil icon. To reply to a comment, type your response in the text field.
Navigate between comments
When someone comments on a sheet, the comment icon appears next to the sheet in the document outline as well as in a circle to the left of the comment in the Comments panel.
To move through your comments, use the Move Up and Move Down arrows at the top of the Comments panel. You can view a comment’s selection in the document by clicking the Jump to Location icon.
Blue triangle outlines in the spreadsheet indicate there are comments for that cell.
When you click highlighted content while the Comments panel is open, the corresponding comment automatically expands in the Comments panel.
To filter your comments, click the Filter icon in the Comments panel. Use the radio buttons at the top of the panel to show comments for your entire document or just the selected sheet.
Reset your filters by clicking Reset Filters at the bottom of the filter window.
If the text your comment is connected to is removed from your spreadsheet, a disconnected icon appears next to the comment in the Comments panel. The comment's original selection (up to 400 characters) also appears in the comment card.
To reconnect your comment, select a new cell in your document and select Reconnect Comment in the Comments panel.
Manage email notification
To manage when you get notified about comments, you can edit your comment thread notification preferences.
To edit your notifications, click the bell icon in the Comments panel or the Manage these notifications link in your email.
You can choose between three options:
- Replies to threads I’m participating in sends you an email any time someone replies in a comment thread you’ve previously replied to or were tagged in
- Only my @ mentions only notifies you when someone tags your username, a group you’re a member of, or specifically uses the @thread tag
- All comments on this document notifies you any time there is a comment made of any type, including replies and mentions.
Note: This only applies to your comment notifications on this file and does not impact other users.
Notifications are set independently for each file, so you can customize your notification settings on each individual document.