Note: To transition to the next generation, you need to be on the current licensing model and using Workspaces. Learn More
Before you get started, review the transition checklist to prepare to transition. Follow the steps below to transition your projects, Classic Documents, Classic Workbooks, and Classic Presentations to the next generation file types.
By default transitioning files or projects is only available for Workspace Owners. To enable transition for all users, contact email@example.com. To learn how to a Workspace Owner, see Find Members and Admins.
Overview of Transition
You'll transition one project at a time and you can choose when to start. Typically, only classic files and projects used in the past 12 months need to be transitioned. You do not need to transition historical or archived projects.
Transitioning a project or classic file:
- Creates a new copy and converts Classic Documents, Classic Workbooks, and Classic Presentations to the next generation file types.
- Resets comments, attachments, tasks, track changes, and history.
- Keeps the existing files and project intact.
You can transition the following:
Projects with classic files
When you transition files, you can choose transition and project settings to determine how items are handled. This lets you adjust options based your situation.
Transition Classic Workbooks to Spreadsheets: This option is automatically checked to transition Classic Workbooks to next gen Spreadsheets as Workbooks typically contain source links.
Transition cross-sheet Workbook links to cross-sheet Spreadsheet formulas: If you are using cross-sheet links in Workbooks, you can now use cross-sheet formulas in Spreadsheets. Check this option to transition them automatically to use formulas instead of links. Don’t check this option if you want to keep your same linking structure.
Transition Classic Presentations to Presentations: Check this option to transition Classic Presentations to next gen Presentations. This is checked by default.
Transition Classic Documents to Documents: Check this option to transition Classic Documents to next gen Documents. This is checked by default.
Keep Comments for Classic documents during transition: If you don't transition your Classic Documents, you can keep the comments in the copied Classic Documents.
You’ll only see project settings when you transition a project.
Period End Date: Enter a period end date for your new project.
Target Filing Date: Enter a target filing date for you new project.
When you transition an item, you can choose where you want to save your new files.
New Folder Name: Enter a new folder name for transitioned items folder.
Location: Select where you want to put the new folder. If no folder is selected, it will be placed in the root directory.
Recreate project folders as folders in Files: Check this box to recreate the project structure as new folders in files. Make sure to update any folder names you don't want others to see in a workspace.
If you transition from Classic Workbooks to Spreadsheets and choose to keep some document types as classic, there is a possibility that destination links will no longer show the text formatting previously used in the Classic Document.
This happens when a source cell in the Classic Workbook has text formatting applied, and that format is not the default formatting used in the Classic Document where the destination link is. If this happens, you can set up Classic Document defaults to match the formatting you'd like.
Transition a Project or Classic File
To transition a project or classic file:
- In Home or Files, right-click on the project or classic file and select Transition .
- Review the files you selected to transition and then click Next >. By default, any linked files are automatically included in the transition.
- Check the boxes to Transition Classic Files and if applicable, Project Settings. Then, enter a folder name and choose a folder location where you want to put the transitioned items.
- Click Transition. You'll see the progress of your transition in the bottom right and can continue to work as the transition completes.
- After the transition completes, you'll receive an email with a link to the new files and a transition report. Review the transition report to check for any formatting differences or changes that might have occurred during the transition.
- In Home or Files, update the transition status to Complete.
- Review additional steps based on your solution and use case.
SOX / Internal Controls
After you transition, you can review the following resources:
Use the following guides to introduce your team to the next gen file types as you make the change to using them.