You can import existing forms that you have previously filed with the SEC into Workiva. Import forms at any time in your workflow. When you import forms, Section 16 extracts and stores information from them including reporting owners, CIK numbers, issuers, transaction types, footnotes, and so on.
Before you import your forms, you'll need to get the correct file format. The SEC automatically converts the forms when you file them.
Download forms from the SEC
To download forms from the SEC:
- Open a new browser tab or window. Go to the Filings & Forms page on the SEC web site.
- Click the Search Company Filings link. Choose how to search for your filing.
- If you used searched for Latest Filings option, you can limit the results by Company, CIK, Form Type and so forth. Choose Only for Ownership.
- In the Files column of the table, click the [html] link for the form you want to import.
- On the Filing Detail page, right-click the link for the .xml version of the file, choose Save Link As (or the equivalent command in the browser you use), and save the file to your computer.
- If you used the Company name, CIK, ticker or other parameters, filter for your company or reporting owners. Once you reach a list of filed forms, right-click the link for the .xml version of the file, choose Save Link As (or the equivalent command in the browser you use), and save the file to your computer.
Import forms into Section 16
Once you have saved downloaded forms in an XML format, you can import these forms into Section 16.
- From the Forms tab, then click SEC Import to open the import dialog, then browse to find the form to import on your computer. Click Import to add the form to your Workiva forms library.