This article describes how to complete the step Generate XBRL Documents of the Filing Wizard. In this step, the wizard converts the XBRL tagging in your Wdesk documents to a valid filing format.
Generating XBRL Documents
These steps assume that you have generated the EDGAR documents, and you have resolved any errors that came up during that step.
If your project is not open already, use File > Open and open the project for which you want to create XBRL files and reports.
The Projects panel opens, displaying the Documents tab. The following image shows a 10Q project. In your project, make sure that the main document (10Q/10K) and any relevant supplemental documents are included. If you are not utilizing non-printing sections for your DEI and parenthetical information, you will need to include those documents as well in this step.
If the document(s) that contain the XBRL tags are not open, do so by double-clicking the document name on the Documents tab.
If XBRL is not on, on the XBRL menu, click Turn on XBRL.
Click the XBRL tab inside the Projects panel, and then click Generate XBRL.
The Generate XBRL dialog box displays. Confirm that the correct documents are indicated. If you have not shared your latest XBRL changes, click Cancel, share the changes, and return to this step. TIP: If Wdesk detects a supplemental document, a message regarding non-printing sections appears in the dialog box. Non-printing sections became generally available in March 2012, and they serve as a better alternative to supplemental documents for storing phantom facts.
Click Generate XBRL once again to begin the process.
A status window appears to show you the status of the process. This also runs a full validation and generates a complete set of verification report documents.
At the end of the process, the generation summary appears, indicating the number of facts, errors, warnings, and information messages.
TIP: Generating XBRL documents can take a few minutes. If you want to continue working while this is running, click Run in Background. With this option, neither the status window nor the generation summary appears. See Viewing XBRL Reports later in this article for information about how to access that information at any time.
NOTE: If you haven't specified an XBRL prefix and/or namespace, when Generate XBRL is clicked, you will be prompted to do so.
To specify an XBRL prefix and/or namespace at the account level, click your Profile name in the upper right-hand corner, then Admin.
In the Admin area, click Settings. Choose the XBRL tab. Click Edit Settings. The prefix and namespace information can now be added.
The prefix and namespace information can be specified within the document itself by going to the right-hand Projects Panel, clicking the green XBRL tab on the right, and selecting the XBRL Document Settings button.
The XBRL Document Settings box displays:
Type in the proper Namespace Prefix and Namespace Identifier information and click Apply Changes.
Viewing XBRL Documents
After Wdesk is done generating the XBRL documents, you can download a .zip archive of the XBRL filing documents.
On the XBRL tab within the Projects panel, click the drop-down arrow to the right of the revision you want to download, and then select Download XBRL Filing Docs.
In the Save As dialog box, specify the location on your computer in which you want to save the ZIP archive that contains the filing documents, and then click Save.
If you want to view each XML file, you can expand the archive on your computer.
Viewing XBRL Reports
While Wdesk generates the XBRL files, it also creates reports for the operation.
At the end of the process, a log appears in the left-hand XBRL Project Validation panel. Using the buttons that appear across the top of the log, you can filter these results, copy them to the clipboard to paste into a spreadsheet program, and so on.
If the XBRL Project Validation panel is no longer displayed (such as in a future Wdesk session), you can view the log at any time.
With the project open, display the XBRL tab on the Projects panel.
On the menu for this revision, select Generation Summary.
In the summary window that appears, click View Validation Results.
You can view other reports for the appropriate revision.
In the Projects panel, click the XBRL tab.
Click the arrow on the left for the revision for which you generated XBRL files to expand it.
Click any of the links in the revision to do any of the following:
- Click Generation Summary to view statistics about the XBRL file generation process.
- Click Validation Results to see a comprehensive list of all errors, warnings, and informational messages relating to both XBRL Validations and Business Validations.
- Click SEC XBRL Viewer to view HTML output which shows a rendering of the XBRL on your document, so you can see how it will look when filed with the SEC.
- Click XBRL/EDGAR Viewer to see the EDGAR document combined with the XBRL tagging information, all in one report.
- Click All Facts Report to download an XLS file containing a list of all XBRL facts used within your document(s), as well as the definition, standard label, type, balance type, and period type for each fact.
- Click Taxonomy Report to download an XLS file which contains much of the same information as the All Facts report. However, in the Taxonomy Report, the facts are further organized by XBRL outline section. This report also provides details on the calculation assertions for each section.
- Click Calculation Report to view a consolidated list of all your XBRL calculation assertions. This report makes it easy to detect and investigate any inconsistencies that may be present.
- Click SEC XBRL Excel Report to download a file which has the same content as the SEC XBRL Viewer (mentioned above), but in Excel format.
NOTE: If XBRL is not turned on, the XBRL Project Validation panel can not operate. Step 2 of the filing wizard will generate your XBRL files, but any warnings or errors that might occur will not appear by default.
To view the notifications, you can follow the instructions in the validation log section earlier in this article.