The XBRL review includes generating XBRL to validate its technical accuracy. The Validation Results lists the following types of messages that you must review and validate:
- Errors: Any XBRL that is not technically accurate is an error.
- Warnings: Potential issues that might impact your document and filing. Warnings commonly occur for inconsistencies that are allowed, such as negative numbers.
- Informationals: Suggested improvements to your documents that do not impact filing.
Viewing Validation Results
After generating XBRL, click View Validation Results to open the error messages in the XBRL Project Validation panel on the left. You can also open them by clicking Validation Results from the XBRL revision panel on the right.
Reviewing Validation Messages
With the XBRL Project Validation panel open, click each message to see more details and the link to its location in the document.
In general, you should use the following guidelines when reviewing and validating messages:
- Errors: You must fix all errors before filing. Use the Fixing Common Errors article as an additional resource to help you review and fix XBRL issues in your document.
- Warnings: Review these potential issues and make changes when necessary. After reviewing the messages, use the instructions in the next section to mark them as valid.
- Informationals: Review these suggested improvements and make changes when necessary.
If you have questions about these errors, please contact your CSM.
If you make updates, make sure to Share both XBRL and document changes.
There are two options for marking a warning or informational message as correct:
Verify as correct: Use to mark a message as correct.
NOTE: Verify As Correct does not apply to error notifications — you must fix all error messages.
Hide this message: Use when you find a message that does not require any changes.
Verifying as Correct
To verify a message as correct, click the arrow below the warning or informational icon and select Verify as correct.
NOTE: The Verify as Correct feature will not affect your filing or what will appear once your report is filed. This is an internal review feature in Wdesk only.
After verifying a message as correct, a green circle with a checkmark appears in place of the icon. When marking an item as correct, you do not need to review it again unless the fact changes. This mark remains for future XBRL generations.
After verifying messages, make sure you Generate XBRL from the project again and clear any additional validation messages that appear.
You can unmark an item by clicking the Verify icon and then selecting Unverify.
If a verified fact changes, the status will revert to a warning or informational icon. You must verify the item again.
If you want to see all of the items that have been verified as correct, click the filter in the upper right-hand corner of the panel, select Verified as Correct, then click Done.
To hide a message, click the arrow below the warning or informational icon and select Hide this message. You can also select Hide all [number] messages of this type after reviewing each message.
NOTE: The Hide this message feature will not affect your filing or what will appear once your report is filed. This is an internal review feature in Wdesk only.
After hiding a message, it no longer appears in the list. A new Hidden message Show option appears under the revision title. It shows how many messages are hidden and allows you to show them.
Click Show to unhide the messages. For hidden messages that you show again, you need to hide the messages again or mark them as correct.