Note: To transition to the next generation, you need to be using Workspaces. Learn More
Classic file types are going away in December 2020 with the end of Flash. As such, you need to transition the classic files you use to next gen files. We suggest that you start working with your team right now to begin your transition process.
Follow the steps below to help you prepare to transition, make the transition, and then get ready to disable classic.
Step 1: Check Your System
To make sure you are ready to transition to and use the next generation of Workiva:
Check your system by running a Canary report. Resolve any notifications with your IT team or ask your Customer Success Manager (CSM).
Review the system requirements to check that you have what is needed for your computer and browser.
Internet Explorer and other browsers do not support the technology used in the next generation Workiva platform and are not recommended for use.
Step 2: Prepare to Transition
Here are steps to help you prepare to transition:
- Review the features currently available in the next generation of Workiva to ensure the features you use are available.
- Run the Linked Files Report to see files that are connected with links so you know what you need to transition–files with source link and destination links. The linked files report lets you see the relationship of source links and destination links between files. Use it to make sure you transition all of the files you need for a process.
- Set a transition status on classic files and projects to mark which items need to be transitioned and those that don't. Typically, you do not need to transition historical documents or projects.
- Start using folders to organize your files instead of projects. In next gen, you'll use folders to manage files and roll forward. To learn more, see Using Folders.
- Check your Classic Documents, Classic Workbooks, and Classic Presentations. Work with your Customer Success Manager or Support for potential recommendations and to check if your files exceed any of these:
- Spreadsheets can include up to 2,000,000 cells
- Links are below 70,000 total – source and destination
- Attachments are below 3,000 per document - total attachments and usages
- Data Collections - if you use and link from a data collection, this may impact your transition
- Prepare your project, Classic Documents, Classic Workbooks, and Classic Presentations:
- Close any open comments, and accept or reject tracked changes.
- Run project validation to verify the accuracy and integrity of your Classic Documents and Workbooks, and correct any issues before you transition. If you are using Spreadsheets, you can find issues using Document Health.
- Review additional steps by use case and solution:
SOX / Internal Controls
Step 3: Make the Transition
To begin using the next generation of Workiva, you'll transition your existing classic files and projects. The transition process only applies to one project at a time, and your team can choose when to start. You don't need to transition all your projects at the same time.
How to Transition:
As you plan your transition, let your team know what's coming. The following resources are available to help introduce your team to the next generation of Workiva. You and your team can also sign up for training on Wdesk University to learn how to use the new file types.
Next Gen Guides
- Switch to Documents
- Swich from Workbooks to Spreadsheets
- Switch to Presentations
- Using Workspaces
- Getting Started with XBRL
- Getting Started with Filing
Step 4: Prepare to Disable Classic
After you complete the transition of your classic files, the last step is to have classic disabled for a workspace. This ensures that everyone in a workspace no longer uses classic files and only uses next gen files going forward.
Review Getting Ready to Disable Classic for steps to take and answers to commons questions. Here are additional resources to review or share with your team to get ready to disable classic: