To view the data that meets a query's defined columns and parameters, you can run the query. You can also use and reference the results outside of the query:
- For comparison or trend analysis, create a view based on the query to visualize its results.
- Export the results to a table or spreadsheet in the Workiva platform.
- Download the results as a comma-separated values (CSV) file, Microsoft Excel® spreadsheet (XLSX), or portable document file (PDF) for use outside of the Workiva platform.
- In Spreadsheets, connect the query to a spreadsheet to populate a sheet with the results.
Tip: For a list of views and connected spreadsheets that use a query's results, select it from Home . On the Details right panel, the query's views and connected spreadsheets appear under Dependents.
Run a Query
To view a query's results, click Run Query . If the query includes parameters, select the criteria of the records to include, and click Run Query.
Under Query Results, you can explore the records returned by the query. To adjust how the records within a column appear:
- To include only records that meet only specific criteria for a column, click its header, select the values to include, and click Apply.
- To sort the records within a column in ascending or descending order, click Click to sort Asc or Click to sort Desc in its header, or click its header, AZ or ZA, and Apply.
From the Query Properties right panel, you can view information about the query's most recent run, including how much data was queried and how long it took.
Create a View of a Query
To visualize the results of a query, such as for comparison or trend analysis, click Create View . If the query includes parameters, select the criteria of the records to include, and click Run Query.
To help best analyze your data, you can transform the view from a table to a chart or pivot report. You can also format or automatically calculate the view’s columns and rows.
Download Query Results
After you run a query, you can download its results, such as for printing or analysis outside of the Workiva platform. To use a query's results outside of Wdata, click Export , and select how to download its results:
- For a CSV file, select To CSV .
- For an XLSX file, select To Excel .
- For a PDF, select Print .
Tip: To download a graphical representation of the query results, create and export a view of its data.
Export a Query’s Results to a Workiva Spreadsheet
After you run a query, you can export its results to the sheet of a spreadsheet you have permission to in the Workiva platform. In the query, click Export , select To Spreadsheet , select the sheet to export to, and click Export to Spreadsheets.
Note: When you export a query, you retain a snapshot of its results at that moment in time. To use the results in a spreadsheet but also enable them to be refreshed with the latest data, connect the query to a sheet from the spreadsheet's Wdata Connections panel instead.
Export a Query's Results to a Table
After you run a query, you can export its results to a table you have permission to in Wdata.
- In the query, click Export , and select Wdata Table, Add to Existing Table.
- Select the table to export to, and click Add to Table.
- Map the columns of the query results to the table's columns, and click Add Data.
Note: From a table, you can also add a query's results to a dataset.