You can organize your data for easier viewing and deeper analysis using sorting and filtering.
Sorting a Spreadsheet
To sort your data:
- Select the content to sort. To select an entire spreadsheet, click in the top left corner.
- Go to the Data tab and click Sort.
- Choose your sorting criteria from the dialog box, as well as whether you want to sort in ascending or descending order. If there is a header row, you can also choose to sort by headers instead of columns by clicking the option.
- Click Sort to finish and see the results.
Filtering a Spreadsheet
- Go to the Data tab and click Filter to enable filters.
- Click the Filter icon at the top of the column you would like to filter by.
- Select the items you would like to see and hide from the list. You can also choose to display filtered results in ascending or descending order. The current filter is shown above the search bar. You can change the filter parameter by clicking Change then selecting terms to use as filters.
- Click Apply to filter the spreadsheet.
Creating and Editing a Filtered View
You can use filtered views to hide data from a spreadsheet without editing the view for all collaborators.
To create a new filter:
- From the Data toolbar, click Filter and select Create View from the dropdown.
- Select the range you want to include in the filtered view.
To edit the filter:
- Select the icon at the top of the column you want to filter.
- Select the items you would like to see and hide from the list.
- Click Apply to apply the filter.
To save your filtered view:
- Double-click the Filter View field to name your filter.
- Click Save in the Filter View toolbar.
Using an Existing Filtered View
To open an existing filtered view:
- From the Data toolbar, click Filter.
- Select Open from the dropdown.
- Click the filtered view from the list that you want to apply.