Spreadsheet Connectors allow you to pull and update information directly from an external data source. If you have Spreadsheets and Controls Management, you can use this feature.
To access the Connectors feature, open the spreadsheet you want to connect to a data source and click the Data toolbar.
Note: Only Document Owners can connect a new data source.
Create a Data Source
You can connect to external data sources or create them directly in Spreadsheets.
To create a data source from an existing spreadsheet:
- Open the spreadsheet you want to use as a data source.
- From the Data toolbar, click Data Set .
- Click Publish Data Set from the dropdown menu.
- In the Publish Sheet Data modal, enter a Data Set Name, select who in your organization can access it, and add a description.
- Click Publish to create your data source.
When you make changes to the content in a data source, click Republish in the Data toolbar to push the changes to any connected sheets.
Connect to a Data Source
A spreadsheet document can contain multiple connected sheets, with each sheet connecting to the same or different data sources.
To connect a sheet to a data source:
- In the document outline, select the sheet you want to connect to a data source.
- From the Data toolbar, click Connect and select the data source you want to connect to.
- In the dialog box, select the data set you want to connect and click Next to import it. If your sheet contains locked cells, you must unlock them before importing your data set.
Note: The amount of time it takes to import your data can vary based on the performance of the data source. You can continue using Wdesk while your import is in progress.
After completing the import process, the icon appears next to each sheet with a connection.
Once the sheet is connected to a data source, you can build views and reports, add cross-sheet formulas, or perform lookups. Data from a connection cannot be modified in the spreadsheet and must be changed at the source.
Customize Data Sets
You can adjust the data that is pulled from the source by changing the Connected Sheets settings in the right panel.
Customizations vary depending on the data set and can include dates, periods, accounts, or departments. Click Update to Apply Changes to save any edits to the customized value.
Contact Support if you need to make changes to available customizations.
Disconnect from a Data Source
You can disconnect a sheet from a data source at any time.
To disconnect a source:
- From the outline panel, right-click the Connected Sheet icon for the sheet you want to disconnect.
- Select Disconnect Data Set from the menu.