Note: Wdesk Sync is scheduled to begin its sunset process on September 30, 2023. To learn more about the newer version, read Workiva Sync for Spreadsheets.
Wdesk Sync syncs information from an Excel workbook to Workiva, allowing you to create new Spreadsheets or update existing ones with data from your computer.
- Wdesk Sync can only be used on computers running Windows 10® or newer. Apple operating systems are not supported at this time.
Download and install Wdesk Sync
To use Wdesk Sync, you need Microsoft®1 Excel 2013 or 2016 (including Office 365) and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or newer. You must also have permission to install programs on your computer. If you do not have these programs or permission to install programs, please consult your company's IT resources.
For technical information relevant to your IT department, direct them to download the Wdesk Sync Installer Technical Details.
To install the add-in:
- Download the Wdesk Sync Add-In installer.
- After the download completes, launch the program.
- Once you install the add-in, restart your computer and open the document you'd like to sync to your Wdesk account.
If you do not see the Wdesk Sync tab in Excel, you can enable it through the Add-In Manager. From Excel's File menu, click Options, and select Add-Ins from the menu. If you continue having problems accessing the add-in, contact your IT department.
If your version of Wdesk Sync is not up to date, an update prompt appears in the left panel.
Use Wdesk Sync
Set Up Wdesk Sync
Wdesk Sync adds a tab option at the top of your Excel window and allows you to use the Sync wizard.
To sync to your Wdesk account:
- Click the Wdesk Sync tab.
- Click Login and select your Wdesk region from the dropdown. This opens the login page in your browser.
- Log in to your Wdesk account using your company’s login/security features (browser validation, SAML, etc.). If you're already logged in to Wdesk, Wdesk Sync automatically verifies your credentials.
- If this is your first time logging in to Wdesk Sync, validate your connection by clicking Validate.
Sync your spreadsheets
To sync from an Excel workbook:
- Open the Excel workbook you’d like to sync.
- From the Wdesk Sync tab in Excel, click Start to open the Sync wizard.
- From the Worksheets tab of the wizard, select the worksheet(s) you'd like to sync using the checkbox next to each name. If a worksheet has a range of cells highlighted, you can check the Sync only selected cells box to sync only the highlighted range.
- From the Wdesk tab of the wizard, choose an existing spreadsheet to add the data to, or create a new spreadsheet. If you choose Create New Spreadsheet, you can name it in the Document field at the bottom of the window. Click Next.
Note: When updating an existing document, you may need to edit your Wdesk Spreadsheet to sync changes correctly. For example, if you added a new row of data in your Excel workbook, you must add an empty row in the same place in the Spreadsheet. Also, if tabs in the Excel document do not match the sheet names in the Spreadsheet, syncing adds a new sheet with the tabs’ names.
- On the Review tab, confirm the items you want to sync. You can choose whether or not to sync formulas by using the Sync formulas checkbox. If you choose to sync formulas, any formulas not supported by Wdesk are identified in a panel.
- To begin the syncing process, click Start Sync. A status bar appears to display the current progress of your sync. If you have Wdesk open when you begin your sync, a progress bar also appears with more information about your sync.
Note: Only users with editing permissions for the selected sheets in Workiva can sync new data.
Once your sync is complete, you can view your new or existing Spreadsheet in your account. Fonts, colors, lines, or other formatting found in the original document are not imported. If there is information in your sheet that you don't want to be overwritten, lock that cell to prevent future changes.
1 Microsoft and its products are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.