Create a List
To create a new list:
- Click in the document where you want to place the list.
- From the Edit toolbar, select bulleted list or numbered list .
- To select a different bullet or numbering format, click the arrow next to the icon to access the dropdown menu.
You can also create a list in your document manually by entering a number or letter on a new line, followed by a period and a space. This automatically creates the first list entry.
To learn how to use Format Painter for lists, please see Format Painter.
Adjust the Level of List Items
You can divide lists into different subsections by adjusting the levels of your list items.
To adjust the level of an item:
- Highlight the line you want to adjust.
- From the Edit toolbar, select Increase Indent or press Tab on your keyboard.
To return an item to its original level:
- Highlight the list item you want to adjust.
- From the Edit toolbar, select Decrease Indent or press Shift + Tab on your keyboard.
Edit List Properties
You can edit list properties, such as bullet and number type, from the Paragraph Properties panel.
To manage list properties:
- Right-click your list.
- From the menu, select Paragraph Properties to open the Lists options.
You can access two different formatting options from the Lists section:
- Style lets you pick your list’s bullet design or numbering format.
- List Text adds text to the beginning of each list item. A prefix appears before the bullet point, while a suffix appears after the bullet point.
You can reset all of your list formatting options by clicking Reset to default options .
Restart List Numbering
For numbered lists, you can reset the numbering at any time using the Restart Numbering tool.
To restart list numbering:
- Right-click the point in the list where you want to restart the numbering.
- From the menu, select Restart Numbering to reset the selected item to 1. The following items are numbered sequentially.
You can also use this feature to return the list to its original numbering format.
To continue list numbering:
- Right-click the point in the list you want to return to the original numbering.
- From the menu, select Continue Numbering to reset the numbering to its original sequence.