The Document and Entity Information (DEI) table is required by the SEC and must be created in an area that is accessible but not included in your EDGAR/HTML filing, such as a non-printing section in the document. This article shows how to set up a DEI table and the steps to set up the XBRL outline.
About the DEI Table
The information stored in the DEI table describes your organization, filing documents, filing period, and other parameters, and you should consider this your XBRL cover page.
All elements shown in the Q1 DEI table below are required for 10-K filings, while those bolded are required for 10-Qs.
|Document and Entity Information||9 months ended|
|Reporting Period Date||Shares Date from cover page||Public Float Date|
|Entity Registrant Name||My Company Name|
|Entity Central Index Key||0123456789|
|Current Fiscal Year End Date||12/31/2019|
|Entity Filer Category||Accelerated Filer|
|Document Period End Date||3/31/2019|
|Document Fiscal Year Focus||2019|
|Document Fiscal Period Focus||Q1|
|Entity Common Stock, Shares Outstanding||11,111,111|
|Entity Well-known Seasoned Issuer||No|
|Entity Voluntary Filers||No|
|Entity Current Reporting Status||Yes|
|Entity Public Float||$111,111,111|
|Entity Emerging Growth Company||No|
You can reproduce this example manually, or you can contact your Customer Success Manager to obtain a template to import into your account.
Creating the DEI Table Manually
To create the DEI table manually, you add the information to a non-printing document outline section.
- In your document, add the new outline section after the cover page, make it a non-printing section, and name the section Document and Entity Information. If you are not familiar with this process, follow the steps in the separate Non-Printing Document Sections article.
- Replace the information in the table above with your company’s information.
- Maintain in the format as shown to avoid validation errors. Entity Registrant name must be the same as the SEC-registered name. Entity Filer Category input must be one of the following: Large Accelerated Filer; Accelerated Filer; Non-accelerated Filer; or Smaller Reporting Company.
Creating the non-printing DEI section in the document is generally the most straightforward practice. If you prefer, you can create the non-printing section and DEI table in the workbook and link to the document.
Setting Up the XBRL Outline
After the document is set up, you can now create the corresponding XBRL outline section.
- On the XBRL tab, click the Turn on XBRL button.
- Click a cell in the table and then enter Table Focus Mode from the top left-hand Table Options drop-down. Use the XBRL tagging wizard to tag your table.
- In the Select or Create XBRL Outline Section, click the button to create a new XBRL outline section.
- In the Create New XBRL Section wizard step, select Document, and for Label, type Document and Entity Information, and then click Next.
- In the Taxonomy Reference step, do the following: Type entity in the search field, and then select the 995400 – Document – Entity Information reference section. When the new outline section appears below your selection, click Next. In the Section Heading step, type Document and Entity Information and click Next.
- If you need to dimensionalize the tagging (Axis/Members) click the green checkmark on the Entities[Table] item to accept it, otherwise you can skip adding an unneeded table by clicking Finish.
- The DEI outline section is added to the XBRL outline, above the financial statement sections.
- Share XBRL.
Now that the outline section is set up, you can begin tagging the table.