Folders are the main way to organize all of your files, such as documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. You can use folders to help make things easier to find and create subfolders to organize your files into meaningful ways, such as by year or quarter.
Create a Folder
To create a folder in Home:
- Click the Create in the top left corner.
- Select Folder .
- Enter a folder a name and click the checkmark to finish. Clicking will cancel creating the folder.
You can also create folders by right-clicking on an existing folder and then selecting New Subfolder. You can create folder hierarchies up to 6 subfolders deep.
Move Files and Folders
You can move items from anywhere in Files and Home by right-clicking and selecting Move. When viewing All Files, you can move files and folders by dragging them and dropping them into a folder. If you move folders with a large number of files or subfolders, it might take some time for you to see the changes.
Note: As you move folders and file, you may encounter duplicate folder or file names. See details below in Renaming a Folder or File for guidelines on naming files and folders.
Drag to a Folder
To drag a file or folder:
- Go to Files, then click All Files.
- Click and hold the item you want to move.
- Move the item over the folder and let go.
You can drag and drop multiple items by checking the box next to them and following the same steps above. You’ll see the status of the move in the lower right corner. If you moved items by mistake, click Undo.
Move to a Folder
To move a file or folder:
- Go to Files or Home.
- Right-click the item and select Move .
- Click Choose Folder and select where you want to move the item.
- Click Move to finish.
You can also move files by checking the box next to the files you want to move, then selecting Move in the toolbar on the top.
You can also move files between workspaces. To learn more, see Moving Files between Workspaces.
Rename a Folder or File
After you create a folder or file, you may need to change the name of it. When you rename a file, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Folders need to have a unique name based on the folder it's in. For example, you can have two folders with the name of "Q1 Report" as long as they are located in different parent folders.
- Files need to have a unique name in that workspace—including files in the trash. For example, you can only have one file with the name of "2020 Q1 Financial Report." If you want a file with a similar name, you can add an extra character or number to use a similar naming pattern.
To rename a folder or file:
- Go to Files or Home.
- Find the folder or file you want to rename.
- Right-click it and select Rename .
- Enter the new name, then press enter or click the blue checkmark.
Note: You cannot rename items that are in the trash.
Upload a File
Uploading files to Wdesk is helpful when you want to keep backups of documents or store files. Additionally, you can use file uploads to share items with team members.
To upload files from Home:
- Go to Files and select All Files.
- Click Upload . This opens a file browser dialog where you can select files on your computer.
- Select the file you’d like to upload and click Open.
To download uploaded files, click the file name. This opens a new tab where you can download the file.