The Collect GR Logs template retrieves logs from your GroundRunner server, zips them, and sends them to a distribution list contained in a Workiva spreadsheet. This is often used by administrators who need to debug or troubleshoot a GroundRunner but don't have access to the directory where the GroundRunner is deployed.
- This template is compatible only with GroundRunners.
- The Email connector must be enabled.
- You must create an email distribution list in a Workiva spreadsheet.
Build an email distribution list
Before using the Collect GR Logs templates, you must use spreadsheets to create an email distribution list in Workiva. Your logs will be sent to every email on this list.
This spreadsheet must contain a header record in the following cells:
It should look something like this:
When building your spreadsheet, remember the following conditions:
- The header names are case sensitive and must match the example shown above.
- The actual distribution list starts on row 2. Multiple rows are permitted.
- The To field is required for every record. Cc and Bcc are optional.
- The Message field can use HTML format tags if desired.
- The Message field is optional.
- If the Message field is left blank, the message contained in the last non-blank cell will be sent instead.
- For example: In the image above, cells A2 and A3 will receive the message in D2; cell A4 will receive the message in D4.
Build your template
The Collect GR Logs template is located in the Workiva Chains section of the Templates screen.
Here's how to find it:
- In Chain Builder, go to the Templates tab.
- Select Workiva Chains from the menu at the top.
- Search for Collect GR Logs at the top right and open the template.
After locating your template, configure it to for your workspace using the variables and runtime inputs listed below.
Note: For detailed instructions on creating a chain from a template, see the Create and manage chains article.
|Workspace variable||WSV_EmailFromAddress||Stores the email address from which emails are sent by the Email Connector.|
|Dynamic chain variable||DCV_ArchiveName||Used to generate the name of the zip file containing the GroundRunner logs.|
|Dynamic chain variable||DCV_GR_Root_Dir||Used to derive the root directory of the GroundRunner installation.|
|Dynamic chain variable||DCV_Message||Used to generate the email message body based on the email distribution list spreadsheet.|
|Dynamic chain variable||DCV_Subject||Used to generate the email subject line based on the runtime input values.|
- Set Dynamic Chain Variable - Email Subject: This event can be edited to control the generation of the subject line. The default includes the All/Current selection in parentheses after the Subject Line specified.
|Runtime input||Purpose||Option value||Required|
|All Logs||Dropdown box that allows you to specify if the current GroundRunner log or all Groundrunner logs (including archived instances) should be collected.||Current (Default)
|Control SS ID||ID of the spreadsheet containing the email addresses where the logs will be sent.||<text entry>||Yes|
|Control Sheet Name||Name of the sheet containing the email addresses where the logs will be sent.||<text entry>||Yes|
|Email Subject||Subject line for the email message generated by the chain.||<text entry>||
(If left blank, the subject line of the email will be blank.)
|Append All Logs Parameter selection||Check to include the selected value for the All Logs parameter in the Email Subject.||Check/Unchecked||
(If checked, the value from the All Logs selection is appended to the Subject Line.)